We bring you the Elders’ latest reflections, insight, and analysis on the COVID-19 pandemic. This covers the period 15 April – 15 May.
- Co-chaired by Ellen Johnson Sirleaf and Helen Clark, the Independent Panel for Pandemic Preparedness and Response (IPPPR) released its report on the future of tackling global health emergencies. The report calls for bold and urgent action to limit the impacts of COVID-19 and prevent future crises.
- “We have to be on the side of humanity in a crisis,” says Mary Robinson in an interview with BBC Newsnight on the need to waive patents to allow more countries to ramp up production of the COVID-19 vaccine.
- Ernesto Zedillo calls for institutional reform to address the shortcomings of the multilateral systemto be better equipped to meet future threats and challenges.
- Juan Manuel Santos writes in USA today in support of a TRIPS waiver for COVID-19 vaccines, highlighting that cooperation and solidarity is the only way to tackle a pandemic.
- Mary Robinson underscores the similarities between the COVID-19 pandemic and the climate crisis in that they both require an effective multilateral response, at the Boao Forum for Asia.
Listen and pass on the Finding Humanity Podcast by clicking on the image below: